“ABLE initiative is our way of raising the bar of ensuring equal access and inclusion for everyone." - Dr. Yousif Asfour, CIO of AUB
Who We Are
Outcomes of Our First Summit
ABLE aims at increasing the retention and success rates of students with disabilities and to support their readiness for life after university by developing and deploying accessibility to campus-wide IT resources.
ABLE scope covers assistive technologies (A.T), learning content, services, resources, policies, inclusive IT support, collaboration platforms, IT facilities and learning spaces.
The ABLE initiative includes, but not limited to:
A national joint project to implement digital accessibility in higher education with a consortium of universities, governmental and nongovernmental entities.
Implementing Digital Accessibility at the American University of Beirut (AUB).
ABLE Initiative Activities
Online Teaching and Learning Accessibility - GAAD
May 27, 2020, American University of Beirut, LB
An online panel discussion by the office of Information Technology (IT) at the American University of Beirut (AUB) to mark the 9th annual Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD)
- Rabih Baalbaki - President at Lebanese Association for IT Professionals, Board Member at PCA, Edtech & Innovation at DT Network. A key player in forming the “Distance Learning” strategic plan in Lebanon.
- Myles Pilling - Council Member at British Assistive Technology Association (BATA)
- Jeremy Seda (NIC) - IT Accessibility Coordinator at North Idaho College, a member in Educause IT Accessibility Group
- Rami Farran: Director - Academic IT at American University of Beirut
The expected outcome is:
- An introduction to digital accessibility and inclusive online education
- An overview of leading practices
- A sketch view of the status in Lebanon
- Pointers to get started and resources improve
Targeted audience: educators, course designers, educational institutions IT professionals and executives as well as governmental and nongovernmental accessibility activists
Tell the world what you are doing to mark GAAD. Post on ABLE or GAAD Facebook or tweet and use #gaad and #ABLESummit hashtags.
Research for Education Accessibility Challenges - REACH
Jan 16-17, 2020, West Hall, Bathish Auditorium, AUB
The first edition of the international conference REACH organized by T.I.E.S in partnership with the American University of Beirut (AUB) invites researchers and practitioners to reflect broadly on the opportunities and challenges associated with the implementation of inclusive education within educational systems.
The thematic fields are based on the recent Guide to Inclusion and Equity in Education (UNESCO, 2017):
- Policy Declarations
- Structures and systems
The aim of this conference is to:
- clarify basic concepts and principles related to inclusive education;
- question the relevance of the concepts to local realities, and enrich or adapt this conceptual field accordingly;
- analyze the legal and regulatory framework related to inclusive education in order to propose adaptations or modifications;
- identify the issues and challenges of the transition from segregated to inclusive education;
- define the role of technology in inclusive education;
- develop priorities for inclusive practice;
- collect data related to the reality and needs of education stakeholders.
Inclusive Recruitment Workshop
December 12, 2019, American University of Beirut, LB
By ProAbled (Samer Sfeir and Chimene Hadshity) in collaboration with the Human Resources and Information Technology departments at AUB
For more information about Inclusive Recruitment, please go to: https://www.proabled.com
Our team of trainers provides sessions and workshops following international standards using an interactive and simulation approach
- Overview on disabilities
- Economical and HR Benefits of being an inclusive company
- Inclusive recruitment techniques for persons with disabilities (visual, hearing, mobility)
- Tips and techniques to interact with persons with disabilities
- Acquiring knowledge about disabilities
- Building inclusive recruitment skills
- Recruiting persons with disabilities
- Becoming an inclusive company compliant with the UN convention and SDGs