PATIENT CARE SERVICES
NKBCI facilities have been originally set up to contain a spacious patient and family area that allows a friendly environment. Our commitment to patients goes beyond the delivery of sophisticated care; we respect the individual needs of all those who seek our care and work to empower patients with the knowledge and support they need to face cancer.
NKBCI provides consultation services and care to patients with Solid Tumor, Benign and Malignant hematological diseases in Lebanon and the region.
The Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute (NKBCI) consists of 5 major service units:
- Ambulatory Oncology Center (Outpatient)
- Inpatient Unit
- Stem Cell Transplant Unit
- Radiotherapy Unit
PATIENT CARE IN NUMBERS (AVERAGE ANNUAL NUMBERS)
4500 New cancer patients enrolled
15250 Hematology Oncology clinic visits
16200 Treatments at the ambulatory treatment unit
2500 Inpatient admissions (Hematology Oncology)
100 Stem cell transplants
18000 Radiation therapy treatments
1100 Patients treated at the Radiation Therapy Unit
2700 Radiation Oncology clinic visits
- NKBCI’s range of medical services encompasses the Hematology Oncology Program, the Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplantation (Autologous and Allogeneic) Program, the Cardio-Oncology, Psycho-Oncology, Onco-Fertility, Palliative & Supportive Care and the Sexo-Oncology Programs.
- The institute also actively fosters various endeavours: Clinical Research and Data Management, Educational Programs, the Cancer Prevention & Control Program, the Cancer Support Fund, Patient Support Activities, the Breast Cancer Community Program, and has established collaborations with local, regional and international sister institutions.
- Through its multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, managers and researchers. NKBCI seeks to attract patients from Lebanon and the region who are seeking comprehensive care.
DIVISIONS & PATIENT SERVICES
- With more subspecialized faculty joining the Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute at AUBMC, the number of clinics have now grown to 11 in the aim to better respond to medical needs and improve patient experience at NKBCI, accounting for the urgency of cancer care. The flow of patients at the Daniel ACC follows a patient-centered model where all concerned health professionals are involved in care: Applying a one stop service setup to provide all needed services at the same point of care.
- A centralized phlebotomy lab and oncology pharmacy dedicated for our patients is another service of excellence provided at ACC.
- Consultation services and medical care are available to patients for different types of solid tumors, benign and malignant hematological diseases as well as other aspects of cancer care across different programs:
- Breast Cancer Program
- Brain Tumors Program
- Gastro-Intestinal and Genitourinary Cancer Program
- Hematological, Bleeding, and Thrombotic Disorders Program
- Lung Cancer and Head and Neck Cancer Program
- Malignant Hematological Disorders and Stem Cell Transplantation Program
- Radiation Oncology Program
- Palliative & Supportive Care Program
- Psycho-Oncology Program
- Oncofertility Program
- Cardio-Oncology Program
- Sexo-Oncology Program with the Women Integrated Sexual Health (WISH) Program
Ambulatory Oncology Center
Beginning of 2019, The Daniel ACC has featured an expansion of the institute’s oncology clinics and ambulatory treatment center that now includes a 43 beds facility. This expansion will allow serving more patients in a timely and effective manner.
The outpatient facility, located on the fifth floor of the ACC Building at AUBMC, can accommodate patients for chemotherapy, physical examinations, procedures, IV antibiotics, blood transfusions, and blood studies. Procedures such as bone marrow aspirates and biopsies are performed in the outpatient unit under conscious sedation. Moreover, patients are prepared in theoutpatient area and referred for radiotherapy or for sophisticated laboratory and other studies such as MRI that require central device access and general anesthesia.
Inpatient Unit (IU)
The NKBCI inpatient facility is a multidisciplinary care unit located on the eighth floor of the medical complex and includes 32 patient beds. Patients are admitted to the inpatient facility for chemotherapy, procedures, investigation and management, and for treatment of underlying complications.
Stem Cell Transplant Unit (SCT)
The NKBCI BMT Unit located on the eighth floor of the medical complex includes 8 positive pressures and High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filtered rooms. Patients are admitted to the
BMT Unit for stem cells transplantation, stem cells collection, and treatment of underlying complications after a transplant.
Providing the highest quality care standards, we have been able to cover for a continuously increasing number of stem cells transplants that has been observed across the past few years with the successful completion of more than 100 BMT patients on average every year.
Radiation Oncology Unit (RO)
The Radiotherapy Unit is located on the basement floor of AUBMC. It includes four examination rooms, two treatment areas, one simulation room, a dosimetry lab, a brachytherapy room, and one laboratory. It uses state-of-the-art equipment to provide treatment for an average of 1100 patients per year. The unit is actively involved in multidisciplinary cancer management and high-dose rate brachytherapy, Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT), Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT), Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS), and Fractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy (SRT). With all these services, the unit currently provides patients with improved results and reduced side effects.
Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute PROGRAMS
Find information on the Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute’s various growing programs by clicking the links to the programs and brochure information:
VIEW ALL PROGRAMS’ BROCHURES
AUBMC SUPPORTIVE PROGRAMS
NKBCI is supported by many AUBMC departments and programs that aim to provide exemplary care for cancer patients:
- The Bone Marrow Transplantation Program (BMT): utilizes front-line diagnostic equipment to identify each patient’s unique needs and provides the highest quality of care by a team of nurses specially trained in BMT services.
For further information or inquiries, please visit the Program website by clicking the following link: Bone Marrow Transplantation Program
- The Department of Radiation Oncology uses state-of-the-art equipment to provide treatment for an average of 600 patients per year. The department is actively involved in multi-disciplinary cancer management and initiated high-dose rate brachytherapy, Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT), Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT), Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS), and Fractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy (SRT), providing patients with the potential for improved results with reduced side effects. For further information or inquiries, please visit the Department website by clicking the following link: Radiation Oncology Department
- The Department of Surgery maintains through its several divisions (Cardiothoracic, General, Neuro, Orthopedic, Plastic, Urology, and Vascular Surgery) an active clinical profile encompassing a wide spectrum of adult and pediatric procedures. For further information or inquiries, please visit the Department website by clicking the following link: The Department of Surgery
- The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (PLM) provides critical clinical laboratory services in Surgical Pathology, Cytopathology, Neuropathology, Blood Bank, Clinical Chemistry, Clinical Hematology, Clinical Microbiology (Bacteriology, Parasitology, & Serology), Cytogenetics, and Molecular Diagnostics. For more information or inquiries, please visit the Department website by clicking the following link: The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (PLM)
- The Department of Diagnostic Radiology provides clinical services in general diagnostic radiology, vascular and interventional radiology, ultrasound, breast imaging, CT scan, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and nuclear medicine. For further information or inquiries, please visit the Department website by clicking the following link: Department of Diagnostic Radiology
The multi-disciplinary Mamdouha El-Sayed Bobst Breast Center offers a full range of mammography and breast care services in a private and supportive environment, using advanced technology such as full-field digital mammography with high- resolution ultrasound and an image-guided biopsy system. For more information or inquiries, please visit the Center’s website by clicking the following link: Mamdouha El-Sayed Bobst Breast Center
- The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology provides comprehensive management of all treatments for gynecologic cancers, as well as a wide range of the most advanced gynecologic surgery for endometrial, cervical, ovarian, and vulvar cancers. An Oncofertility Program has been jointly inititiated to adress patient’s reproductive concerns at the department’s Haifa Idriss Fertility Unit. The department also provides sexual health care for both men and women through its Women Integrated Sexual Health Program at the Women’s Health Center. For further information or inquiries, please visit the Department website by clicking the following link: Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and the Women Integrated Sexual Health Program.
- The Department of Psychiatry and the Naef K. Basile Institute have jointly established the Psycho-Oncology Program, the first integrative collaborative care psycho-oncology program in Lebanon and the region. The program aims to support cancer patients and their families, help them better manage their disease and its progression, improve their quality of life, clinical outcomes and advocate throughout their cancer journey. For further information or inquiries, please visit the Department website by clicking the following link: Psycho-Oncology Program.
PATIENT SUPPORT SERVICES
The high costs involved in cancer treatment often prove difficult for many Lebanese. To that end, NKBCI has launched and hosted various initiatives to support patients in need. The latest of which is The Cancer Support Fund, established in 2016 to assist in the medical expenses of diagnosis and therapy.
FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOUNDATIONS:
- The Cancer Support Fund: is a charitable initiative at the NKBCI. To ensure patients can have equal opportunities to receive appropriate healthcare services, it offers financial, emotional and psychosocial support to financially disadvantaged adult cancer patients.
The CSF provides adult cancer patients with financial support as assessed by the AUBMC Social Services Department with no discrimination based on gender or religion. For more information please visit the following link: Cancer Support Fund Hyperlink to Cancer Support Fund Box
- The Lebanese Breast Cancer Foundation: is a charitable fundraising organization that aims to promote early detection and provide comprehensive support to patients with breast cancer at NKBCI along with financial assistance to those with limited means. It organizes awareness campaigns to promote early detection and supports breast cancer research projects and clinical trials. For more information, please visit the following link: Lebanese Breast Cancer Foundation
PATIENT SUPPORT INITIATIVES:
Patient activities at NKBCI started with individual efforts from cancer survivors treated at the institute. Setting up support groups to help those affected overcome the challenges of diagnosis and inspire hope is also one of the services that NKBCI also promotes through:
- Ties: Is a volunteer lead initiative whose purpose is to support patients during hospitalization and alleviate the burden of disease through different occupational and recreational activities such as live music rounds, arts and crafts, relaxation exercises and others like storytelling. For more information please visit the following link: Ties
SOCIAL WORK SERVICES:
NKBCI established a centralized social work services dedicated to:
- Provide the necessary support and assistance to the patient in the medical and psychiatric setting in the spirit of the Service of Excellence.
- Help families adjust to social, psychological, and economic problems resulting from patients’ illness especially during crisis.
All patients presenting to AUBMC can request the support of the Social Services Department, which serves as a link between the patient, community organizations, and other AUBMC staff, for evaluation and assistance.
The Social Services Department is comprised of eligible individuals specialized in assisting patients with a range of social, emotional, family, and health-related problems.
Outpatient Unit: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Private Clinics: Monday – Friday as per the following schedule
Radiation Oncology Clinic Hours
Bassem Youssef, MD
Mon 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Wed 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Fri 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Toufic Eid, MD
Tues 8:00 am — 1:00 pm
Wed 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Thu 10:00 am – 12:00 pm, 1:30 pm – 4:00 pm
Fri 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Zeina Ayoub, MD
Mon 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Wed 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
Thu 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Fri 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Hematology – Oncology Clinic Hours
Ali Bazarbachi, MD
Mon 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Wed 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Ali Shamseddine, MD
Mon 10:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Wed 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Thu 10:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Fri 10:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Ali Taher, MD
Tue 10:30 am – 5:00 pm
Wed 10:30 am – 2:00 pm
Arafat Tfayli, MD
Mon 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Wed 9:30 am – 5:00 pm
Thu 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Fri 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Deborah Mukherji, MD
Tue 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Thu 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Fri 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Fadlo Khuri, MD
Wed 9:30 am – 1:00 pm (2/month)
Rana Yamout, MD
Tue 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Thu 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Fri 1:00 pm- 5:00 pm
Hazem Assi, MD
Mon 1:30 am – 5:00 pm
Wed 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Thu 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Fri 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Iman Abou Dalle, MD
Tue 8.30 am – 5:00 pm
Fri 1.30 pm – 5:00 pm
Jean El Cheikh, MD
Tue 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Thu 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Naji Al Saghir, MD
Mon 9:30 am – 5:00 pm
Wed 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Thu 9:30 am – 5:00 pm
Sally Tamraz, MD
Mon 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Tue 2:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Wed 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Fri 9:30 am – 1:00 pm
Ziad Salem, MD
Mon 12:30pm – 6:00pm
Wed 12:30 pm-6:00 pm
Thu 12:30 pm-6:00 pm
Fri 12:30 pm-6:00 pm
LOCATION AND APPOINTMENT SCHEDULING
The Hematology Oncology Clinics are located on 5th floor of the Halim and Aida Daniel Academic and Clinical Center.
The Ambulatory Treatment Unit is located on the ground and 2nd floors of Building 56 at AUBMC.
The Radiation Oncology Clinics are located in the basement floor of AUBMC-Phase I. To schedule an appointment or contact us, you are kindly requested to refer to the numbers listed below.
Hematology Oncology Clinics
Phone Number: 00961 – 1 – 374 374 ext. 7980 – 9691
Direct Line: 00961 – 1 – 759 618
Fax: 00961 – 1 – 350 000 ext. 7942
Radiation Oncology Unit
Phone Number: 00961 – 1 – 374 374 ext.5090/1
Direct Line: 00961 – 1 – 344 839
Fax: 00961 – 1 – 370 795
NAEF K. BASILE CANCER INSTITUTE
Telephone: 00961 – 1 – 350 000 ext. 7903
Fax: 00961 – 1 – 350 000 ext. 7941
Email us on: email@example.com
Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute comprises of more than 150 healthcare professionals of diverse specialties: physicians, clinical associates, fellows, residents, allied AUB academics, clinical department administrators, nurse leaders, nurse managers, clinical nurses coordinators, registered nurses, physicists, pharmacists, technicians, data managers, clinical trials coordinators, health communication specialists, quality officers, palliative care staff, secretaries, social worker, clinic assistants, clerks, messengers, nurse aids, orderlies, schedulers, and filing staff.