There is no better time to come together and help patients.
To be able to carry on the Cancer Support Fund’s mission, urgent medicines and donations are needed.
Every life matters. Please watch, share and donate.
The Cancer Support Fund at AUBMC is a charitable initiative that aims on supporting cancer patients in all aspects of their life during treatment.
You can contact the Cancer Support Fund directly by clicking the button below
- The Cancer Support Fund (CSF) is a charitable initiative at the American University of Beirut Medical Center‘s (AUBMC) Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute. The CSF was established in response to a pressing need in a region where cancer rates are on the rise and patients lack a comprehensive support system that will assist them throughout their medical treatment journeys.
- The CSF is dedicated to raise public awareness of cancer while providing financial assistance, emotional support and guidance to underserved patients who need help. We aim to ensure providing our patients with the full range of support they need during their cancer journey and beyond. The CSF works on continually expanding its programs and services to meet the health care and social needs of the communities we serve.
RESPONDING TO A NEED FOR CANCER CARE
- Cancer rates are increasing worldwide. They are especially high in the Middle East—and continue to rise.
- According to the Lebanese Ministry of Public Health’s National Cancer Registry and the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer, cancer incidence in Lebanon has increased from 191 per 100,000 in 2003 to 284 per 100,000 in 2018 (World Health Organization Global Cancer Observatory – Lebanon)
- This increase represents a large and growing burden on individuals and their families, specially for those who cannot afford to access advanced healthcare services.
MISSION, VISION AND GOALS
To provide financial and comprehensive psychosocial support to underprivileged adult cancer patients who are receiving treatment at the Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute.
We seek to be the national and regional reference for adult cancer patient treatment and support by facilitating research and promoting cancer prevention through enhanced public awareness
- Providing financial assistance to underprivileged adult cancer patients
- Offering patients and their families psychosocial support
- Supporting underprivileged adult cancer patients
- Raising awareness about cancer prevention
- Supporting adult cancer research at AUBMC
WHO WE SUPPORT
- The Cancer Support Fund supports patients age 18 years and above diagnosed with Brain, Lung Prostate, Colon, Skin Cancer and other Solid tumors.
- Support includes financial assistance towards the cost of hospitalization and follow-up diagnostics for underprivileged adult cancer patients.
- The CSF provides adult cancer patients with financial support as assessed by the AUBMC Social Services Office with no discrimination on the basis of gender or religion.
- Patients supported by the CSF receive comprehensive multidisciplinary cancer treatment by subspecialized physicians, nurses, and psychologists offering medical care quality that aims to meet advanced standards of service excellence.
CHOOSING THE Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute AT AUBMC
- Our aim is to provide under-privileged adult cancer patients with access to state of the art medical services. As such the Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute is the first medical institute in Lebanon to develop subspecialized programs for the management of brain, breast, gastrointestinal, genitourinary, head and neck and lung cancers, a benign and malignant hematology program, a Stem Cell Transplantation unit, in addition to establishing a Palliative and Supportive Care Program and a Cancer Prevention and Control Program.
- The Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute faculty, who are national, regional and international medical experts in clinical care and translational research, have been spearheading the region’s Bone Marrow Transplant care by obtaining multiple accreditation and performing various first of their kind medical procedures in Lebanon. With many established affiliations with both regional and international cancer centers, the institute offers its patient with advanced international care standards.
HELPING OVERCOME CANCER
HALA DAHDAH ABOU JABER
CSF President and Founder
ALI TAHER, MD, PHD, FRCP
Professor of Medicine, Hematology & Oncology
Director – Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute
The Cancer Support Fund (CSF) at the American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC) in collaboration with Al Bustan Music Festival held a walk-in concert entitled “Beethoven – Where Hope Grows” on the 21st of February 2020. The walk-in musical concert featured Italian award winning player Gloria Campaner playing Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata for cancer patients and guests.
The event was a new collaboration in line with the Institute’s new approach to combine arts and medicine in treating cancer patients. This is the second of a series of musical acts the institute engages in to advocate the role of creative arts in the healing and treatment journeys with the hope to enhance the hospital environment and patient experience.
“Music has been around since the start of civilization and has played an integral role in human life. It has been referred to as a universal language, an acoustic phenomenon, a symbolic medium and an agent of change. The idea that music has healing powers goes back to ancient times. Apollo was the god of both music and healing. Hippocrates is said to have played music to help treat his patients. In the Old Testament, King Saul’s fits of depression were alleviated by the music of young David. As the Director of NKBCI and co-founder of the Cancer Support Fund, I strongly believe that active music engagement will allow all patients, especially cancer patients, to reconnect with the healthy parts of themselves, even in the face of their debilitating condition. Today, we are leading the move in Lebanon by bringing the arts into our hospital environment through musical performances,” said Dr. Ali Taher, Director of Naef K. Basile Cancer Institute and Co-founder of the CSF.
“We are fighting cancer with music, we are beating sickness with art, today our medical combat doesn’t come with hospital instruments, today our battle is melodic. To date, we have helped in less than a year 225 patients,” added Ms. Hala Dahdah Abou Jaber, President and Founder of the CSF.
“AUBMC is the place where hope grows, when we face a problem, hope is renewed we salute cancer patients and their courage and wish them all the best, music gives hope and healing powers and we hope we can spread this to our beloved patients,” said Ms. Laura El Khazen Lahoud, Vice President of Al Bustan Music Festival.
The event took place at the AUBMC, Halim and Aida Daniel Academic and Clinical Building Lobby where the baby grand Yamaha piano, generously offered by Mr. Salim Abou Samra, found its new home. The piano was painted by Billy The Artist, a painter volunteering his time to paint pianos with the New York based NGO Sing for Hope whose mission is to spread music and art to those needing it the most in healthcare facilities and schools. Other than being a special piece of art, the piano is also signed by music icons like Andrea Bocelli, Placido Domingo, Monica Yunus and Camille Zamora, manifesting its uniqueness even further.
This occasion comes in a series of continuous events whereby the CSF will lead the initiative of combining art and medicine to make them an integral part of the patient recovery journey. The CSF continues to stand by its patients, offering them the newest treatments available, despite the difficult times that Lebanon is facing. Such efforts bring to life and reaffirm the CSF’s vision of being the national and regional reference for adult cancer patient treatment and support.
MAKE A DONATION
For more information on how to support, or any questions about, the Cancer Support Fund, please contact Mr. Walid Katergi: email@example.com; +961 71 179 129